DOES YOUR TRUTH WORK? - Week 1 - INTERRUPTION
Matthew 26:33–35 (NLT)- 33 Peter declared, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you.” 34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, Peter—this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” 35 “No!” Peter insisted. “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” And all the other disciples vowed the same.
Psalm 119:25–32 (NIV84)- 25I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.26I recounted my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees. 27Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders. 28My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. 29Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through your law. 30I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws. 31 I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame. 32 I run in the. path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
John 16:33 (NIV84)- 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.
For many families in our area, this past week was Spring Break! Did you survive? What did your break look like? Did you get a break at all? Share with each other what this break has looked like for you. It does not have to be extravagant.
1. Have you ever had a best friend? Maybe you remember your childhood friend, or maybe one you have now. What was that relationship like? What made it so special?
2. At the beginning of his message, Pastor Tom states, “well-meaning people make mistakes.” Where have you seen that statement be true in your own life?
3. Like Pastor Tom suggested in his message, “When it comes to life, to what part or what people do you hope something never happens?” Who are those people and what are those things for you?
4.Matthew 26:33–35. Peter was well meaning in his declaration that he would never abandon Christ, but he eventually does. Something got in the way for him to make a mistake. What things can get in the way of us following through on our devotion to Christ?
5. Read Psalm 119:25-32. Do any of the statements made by the author resonate with you? Are you, or have you been, in these places before? If so, what was that like?
6. When you are in place where you feel everything is falling apart, what is your first reaction? How might God be challenging you to change your reactions? And what might that look like?
7. Pastor Tom mentions two promises that Jesus gives us.
Promise #1 In this world you will have trouble.
Promise #2 But take heart! I have overcome the world.
What does it look like for you to lean into Christ in the midst of your trouble? Is there something (or someone) in your life that you need to take hold of the promise that God has overcome the world?
In this message Pastor Tom walks us through Psalm 119:25-32. Take some time to walk through the passage with Christ through prayer.
Psalm 119:25–32 (NIV84)
25I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.
“[I feel like dirt”, “I need you to save my life”, “Keep me alive by your word”]
Recognize your place and need for God.
26I recounted my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees.
[“Here is the state of my heart because You hear me”, “Show me who you are”]
Allow God to search your heart and you see His.
27Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders.
[“I am dependant on you”, “Show me what to do and I will”]
Trust that the word of God is good for us to follow.
28My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
[“God I feel like my life is getting ready to collapse”, “Hold me up”]
Remember that God will hold you up.
29Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through your law.
[“Keep me from walking down the road that is a lie”]
Recognize the lies in your life and ask for the foundation of God’s truth
30I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.
[“My life is falling apart, but I have made a choice, to to the right thing”
Choose the next right thing.
31 I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame. 32 I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
[“I believe your promises and I will live in them.”]
Live into the promise that God has overcome the world
As you work and pray through each of these verses, what changes might you make moving forward? Make a re-declaration to Christ today? Live into that freely!